My 3-Day Detox
If you have never completed a detox before, it can be very overwhelming. When you research how to detox and cleanse there are so many pros, cons, what to do and what not to do. So many people think you have to take drastic measures in a detox which will leave you loosing weight extremely quickly, but the truth is, you will gain it right back and feel worse in the long run.
This is why our approach to detoxing is different. Its not about extreme restriction where you will feel hungry and lightheaded, and which is also why you will never see us trying to sell fad detox drinks and gimmicks, because the truth is, there is no shortcuts to good health. To get the best results that last your lifetime, you need to support your bodies natural detoxification organs and you need to pick the right program that your body can handle and adapt to.
I’m going to share with you my experience; Darcy Tuite is qualified in Nutritional Medicine and outlined a plan to keep it simple and realistic to my goals and body’s needs.
The past 3 days consisted of consuming nutrient dense beverages and soups filled with ingredients that are good for digestion, metabolism, anti-inflammatory effects and detoxing benefits. There were ups and downs, moments of irritability and sluggishness but it was worth it.
- Started the day with lemon water with cayenne pepper & apple cider vinegar. This mixture is a great way to start the day. Lemon is a phytochemical that helps to detox your liver. Cayenne pepper boosts your metabolism. Enhancing the immune system and decreasing inflammation. This drink gave me the energy needed.
- I completed my daily 500 Push Ups around 7am and felt good.
- Now I’m addicted to coffee. So the hardest part of this was not having any. I normally consume 2-4 cups of coffee a day, so eliminating this gave me a headache.
- At mid-day I enjoyed a chicken broth filled with cabbage, collard greens and slow cooked chicken, as unappealing as this may sound, it was enjoyable and it filled me up. The protein from the chicken in this meal gave me the boost that was needed to get through the rest of the day.
- At about 3pm I started to feel a little lethargic so decided to prepare a juice to get me through the afternoon. It consisted of apple, turmeric, celery, lemon and ginger. It was just what we needed.
- At 5pm I felt pretty good, so headed down to the beach for a gym session and followed by a surf.
The session was very tough. I had a headache the whole time and found it hard energy wise, but I completed the session anyway.
- For dinner I enjoyed a pumpkin, ginger, coconut and coriander soup and put myself and my desert cravings to bed.
- Woke up feeling lighter, rejuvenated but a little tired.
- I started the day with the same morning drink and that helped with my energy levels and completed my daily 500 Push Ups feeling a little fatigued.
- By lunch time, I was craving the chicken vegetable broth which satisfied till the afternoon.
- Overall I felt 10 times better than the first day.
- I had a little afternoon slump at around 3pm. Driving around the streets of Bali, noticing food all around! Restaurants, food photos and the smell of local BBQ had me craving the usual Nasi Goreng…but I wasn’t giving up.
- I decided I needed to train to boost my energy levels so went and did a really hard session followed by a quick surf. Felt surprisingly good.
- I enjoyed a pork broth and mushroom soup for dinner.
- On day 3, the last day of the detox, I woke up feeling energized. Skin was glowing and felt light and lean and smashed out my 500 Push Ups.
- I was actually excited about having our apple cider vinegar drink this morning and getting into the day as I felt amazing.
- Today I had a cup of black coffee and never felt so good. Felt lean, energetic, clear and focused.
- In the afternoon I decided I wanted to really push myself to the limit with a solid session of Pull Ups, Muscle Ups, Dips and Core Strength work. I felt so good and light during the session. Honestly never felt better.
- For dinner I enjoyed a soup filled with poached salmon and vegetables. I was extremely satisfied from this.
- I noticed my sleep had been really good and energy levels were up with the best they have been. Not as many ups and downs throughout the day.
- I really noticed this had me motivated to continue this health kick due the increased energy levels, feeling amazing and the noticeable difference in my body image.
Woke up early on the fourth day, after completing the 3 day-detox, feeling light and fresh.
I felt so good after completing the detox, the continued to really minimise out dairy and gluten for the next 3 days and continued to start the day with our apple cider vinegar drink. I felt cleaner and gained a big sense of accomplishment.
Over the next week I aim to slowly introduce small amounts of different food groups back into our diet. In doing this, allowing my body to focus on digesting the foods it is given. If you don’t make the decision to continue with healthy, wholesome foods it is possible to gain weight and leave you feeling more sluggish than when you started. By eating healthy, alkalizing foods and hydrating, you will assist your body to come back from the cleanse healthier than ever.
I have found this approach to detoxing quite realistic, energizing and enjoyable! I have completed detox’s before that eliminate foods all together and I don’t think they are achievable and or cant be maintained. It promoted binging on anything and everything the second it was over…whats the point!
Why I ate what I did
Every morning began with Lemon Water with Cayenne Pepper & Apple Cider Vinegar
Lemon is a phytochemical that helps to detox your liver.
Cayenne pepper boosts your metabolism. Enhancing the immune system and decreasing inflammation.
Apple Cider Vinegar has so many incredible benefits for the body, but the ones we would like to point out in regards for a good cleanse include its natural ability to detox to liver and lymphatic system. It helps balance your bodies pH and stimulates cardiovascular stimulation, bowel motility and lymphatic drainage.
1 meal a day consisted of the chicken broth with vegetables, Darcy chose this for the following reasons:
Broth – good quality broth is high in glycine, which helps the liver in removing anything dangerous from the body. Glycine is also necessary for the synthesis of glutathione, which is the bodies most important antioxidant to help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation.
Cabbage & Collard Greens– high in vitamin C and sulphur, this vegetable purifies the blood and removes toxins from the body. Cabbage is also extremely beneficial for the treatment of constipation, headaches, obesity, skin disorders, arthritis and is a great immune booster.
Poached Chicken – easy to digest and high in protein leaving you feeling more satiated with the meal, fuller for longer and supports energy levels. Supports a healthy body weight and aids in weight loss.
Each night I had a turmeric tonic that Darcy found in a health food store in Bali. It is a unique system of traditional herbal medicine that is used for disease prevention. This mixture consisted of fresh turmeric, ginger, tamarind and filtered water. She chose to have this drink because:
Turmeric – Curcumin, a compound derived from turmeric, works as a powerful anti-inflammatory for the whole body but the liver particularly. Turmeric reduces cancer and tumours as well as reduces oxidative stress within the body. It promotes digestion and helps to relieve gas and soothes any inflammation in the digestive tract. Turmeric rejuvenates liver cells, helps liver function and reduces damage to the liver.
Ginger – cleanses the body by stimulating digestion and circulation. Its digestive actions serve to cleanse the build up of waste and toxins in the colon, liver and other organs.
Tamarind – Rich in vitamin C, this ingredient acts as a gentle laxative that helps promote bowel movements. It also has a cooling effect on the body.
Darcy chose healthy, cleansing foods that she knew were good for our bodies and wouldn’t make us unwell. We are aiming to show you how easy a 3-day detox can be for you and your health. However, if you do not have any experience with detox and health then you can find an array of different cleanses and detox plans for different levels on the 100ClubApp launching soon. You will find complete plans, recipes, pre-cleanse and post-cleanse tips, how to deal with cravings and much more.
This is honestly one of the best things I’ve done to motivate me in my training. my energy levels have dramatically increased and my body fat has considerably decreased. If you want to improve your energy levels, burn some extra weight, increase motivation then I can’t recommend this enough.